This is the prefect summer treat! I absolutely love this recipe, its so good and it won’t leave you with regrets! If you’re looking for an impressive, easy dessert that won’t make you feel heavy this is the one. And it’s prefect for summer with all the fresh berries! I decided to use my three favorite berries, you can surly change it up add more or less. Go with your stomach or maybe use what’s on hand. Either way this dessert is amazing!
I started by making an angel food cake following the recipe on the box. Just add water and go! The key getting the cake to turn out is using parliament paper on the bottom of your cake pan and then spraying the bottom and sides with non-stick spray.
Next I spread the batter evenly on the pan and baked for about 25 minutes until the cake passes the toothpick test.
While that was cooking I laid a thin cloth on the counter and covered it with a sprinkling of powdered sugar. Yes that’s a clean baby swaddle. I couldn’t find my cheesecloth so I had to improvise. Sorry Grayson!
Once the cake was done, I ran a knife alone the edges to make sure it was not sticking to the pan.
Then I turned the cake upside down on the thin cloth. I removed the parliament paper and again sprinkled the cake with powdered sugar. The powdered sugar is to prevent the cake from sticking to the cloth. If you need to use more then a 1/8 of a cup go for it. You can always dust off the extras later.
Next I rolled the cake semi tight in the thin cloth and set aside to cool. I left the cake alone for a few hours until it was completely cooled.
While that was cooling I washed the strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. I diced the strawberries and set all the fruit aside. I may or may not have had a few taste testers… I consider it part of the job to make sure the berries are ripe.
As for the frosting I whipped that together right before I unrolled the cake. I started by whipping the heavy cream for a few minutes until it was thick. Then I added the cream cheese, vanilla, and lastly powdered sugar.
Then I unwrapped the angel cake from the thin cloth and topped it with about ¾ for the frosting.
Next I added the fruit. I did rows of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. You can go in any order or no order and mix everything together.
Once I ran out of room I saved the rest of the fruit for on top of the cake. I rolled the cake up as tight as I could with out damaging the cake. Next I placed it on the serving platter and topped it with the remaining frosting and fruit. I hope your enjoy this dessert as much as me and my family did!
Angel Fruit Roll
- 1 Box angel food cake
- 1 1/4 Cups water
- ¼ Cup powdered sugar for rolling
- ¾ Cup powdered sugar for frosting
- 8 oz Cream cheese, room temp
- 1 ½ Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Cups fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 ½ Cups fresh raspberries
- 1 ½ Cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line cake pan with parliament paper and spray with non-stick spray
- Mix angel food cake and water
- Spread evenly in cake pan
- Bake for 25 minutes until it passes toothpick test
- While baking prepare a thin cloth (for rolling the cake) with 1/8 cup powdered sugar
- Run knife along pan edges
- Turn out cake onto thin cloth
- Remove parliament paper
- Sprinkle 1/8 cup powdered sugar on top of cake
- Roll cake in semi tight roll
- Set aside to cool for 2 hours
- Wash fruit and dice strawberries
- Start frosting
- Whip heavy cream until thickened
- Add cream cheese
- Add vanilla
- Add powdered sugar
- Once cake is cooled unroll cake
- Add ¾ of frosting to cake, spread evenly
- Add rows of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries on top of frosting
- Roll cake tightly
- Place on serving platter
- Top with remaining frosting
- Top with remaining fruit
- (best to eat with in 24 hours, refrigerate)