Fall is my favorite time of year! I am blessed that I live in a part of the world that gets all four seasons! Not only is Fall my favorite but also Halloween is my favorite holiday! With the season changing from Summer to Fall comes all sorts of good things; apples, pumpkins, Fall foliage, sweaters, etc. Today I went to the local farmers market and stocked up on apples and all sorts of Fall goodies. I have so many apples I’m not sure I know what to do with all of them. One thing is for sure my family is going to get a healthy dose of apple everything for a while.
I decided to start my apple food experiment with apple pie pastries. We had them for dessert after dinner. I’m secretly excited for breakfast tomorrow when I can enjoy them again!
I started by washing 3 Cortland apples then peeling them. I diced them up and put them into a small saucepan. Next I added sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, all spice, and nutmeg. I heated that on low until the apples were tender. While the saucepan was heating I cut the pastry dough into six rectangles.
Next I placed the pastry dough on a baking sheet and added the apple mixture to them. I then pulled two corners of the pastry rectangle together. Next whip the egg and brush egg over the exposed pastry dough. Preheat the oven 350 degrees once the oven is ready its time to bake! Bake for 15-17 minutes, until golden brown.
Once the pastries cool down from the oven its time to add the glaze. To make the glaze add powdered sugar in a small bowl, add vanilla extract, mix. Once mixed add warm water slowly until glaze thins a bit, make sure you don’t make it to thin thou. You can always thicken the glaze by adding more powdered sugar. Lastly drip glaze over pastries. Enjoy!!
Apple Pie Pastries
- 3 Apples, washed, peeled, cubed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 sheets of pastry dough
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Wash and peel apples, then dice and add to small saucepan
- Add sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, all spice, and nutmeg to saucepan
- Mix while heating on low until apples are tender
- Cut pastry dough into six rectangles
- Placed the pastry dough on a baking sheet
- Added the apple mixture to them
- Pulled two corners of the pastry rectangle together
- Whip the egg and brush egg over the exposed pastry dough
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow pastries to cool for 10 minutes
- Make Glaze by mixing powdered sugar and vanilla extract in small bowl
- Slowly add water to thin out glaze until desired thickness
- Drizzle over top of pastries