Happy Halloween!! This is by far my favorite holiday! This year I decided to celebrate with a delicious Halloween cake. After days of deciding which favors and colors were the most Halloween I came up to the best combination for a cake.
I started by making three layers of vanilla cake; a black layer, purple layer, and a green layer. I start out by mixing the dry ingredients; white cake mix, flour, salt, and sugar. Next I add water, eggs, vanilla, olive oil, and sour cream. Once everything is combined its time to bake.
Bake for about 25-30 minutes until it passes the tooth pick test! While the cake cooled I whipped up a batch of American buttercream. I turned 1/3 of the frosting blue for the crumb layer, I thought it would be fun to cut into the cake and see the hidden blue. The rest of the frosting I turned orange with soft food color gel.
Next I made the dripping for the top of the cake. It is a very simple recipe. I heated heavy cream in the microwave then poured it over white chocolate chips. Let sit for about 5 minutes then stored until smooth. Next I add a drop of food coloring and added all the drippings to a squirt bottle. set aside for later.
It is finally time to assemble!! Start with black on bottom, add orange buttercream and smooth out. Next add green layer followed by orange frosting. Next stack on purple cake layer. Then i moved on to adding the blue frosting crumb coat. Once crumb coat was on i placed the cake in refrigerate for 10 minutes to harden crumb coat. Next add final layer of orange frosting to cake.
After the final coat of frosting was on the cake i pressed sprinkles on bottom third of cake. I used sprinkles I purchased from Neon Yolk. They are the only sprinkles I will use because they are so fun!
0918171644 link to watch the sprinkles 🙂
Next add purple drippings on top of cake
Lastly place ghost meringue cookies on top of cake and its ready to enjoy!! You can find the recipe for ghost meringue cookies here http://freshfarmliving.com/ghost-meringue/
White Vanilla Cake
- 1 Box white cake mix
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/3 cup Water
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 4 Egg whites
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- Preheat oven 325 degrees
- Grease cake pans
- Combine flour, cake mix, sugar, and salt
- Add water, olive oil, eggs, vanilla, and sour cream
- Mix well
- Place in cake pans
- Bake 25-30 minutes until passes tooth pick test
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- ¾ cup White chocolate chips
- Purple food coloring
- Plastic squirt bottle
- Put heavy cream in microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 40 seconds
- Place white chocolate chips in bowl
- Pour hot heavy cream over chocolate chips
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes
- Stir until chips are completely melted
- Mix in a drop of food coloring
- Pour into squirt bottle and you are ready to decorate.
- 3 Cups of butter, room temp
- 12 Cups powdered sugar
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 Cup whipping cream
- Whip butter using a kitchen aid with paddle attachment
- Add vanilla
- Add salt
- Slowly add powdered sugar one cup at a time
- Add whipping cream
- Mix frosting on medium for 2 minutes to remove air bubbles
- Hand mix right before using.
- Once cakes are cooled it is time to assemble
- Start with black on bottom, add orange buttercream and smooth out
- Next add green layer followed by orange frosting
- Next stack on purple cake layer
- Add blue frosting to crumb coat
- Place cake in refrigerate for 10 minutes to harden crumb coat
- Next add final layer of orange frosting to cake
- Press sprinkles on bottom third of cake
- Next add purple drippings on top of cake
- Lastly place ghost meringue cookies on top of cake and its ready to enjoy!!