Let me start by saying this is the very first cake I have ever made using a bench scrapper and it is by far the tallest cake I have ever made. I’m extremely proud of how good it turned out. If I can do this on my first time I’m sure you can too!!
I decided it was time to try my hand at a unicorn cake because they’re all the rage right now! And lets face it they look awesome. This cake took some time but it’s defiantly work it! I made this cake for my cousin’s birthday. She had absolutely no idea it was coming. I’m so glad I went big on this one! It is such a great feeling when you can bring a smile to a loved one’s face.
I started off by making a large batch of white cake and divided it into 4 bowls. I added soft gel food color to each bowl. It took about 4 drops to get the desired color. I made one layer blue, yellow, pink, and purple.
I used the basic white cake recipe. It is a pretty dense cake but still delicious. It taste more like a sugar cookie. You can find this recipe on under Basic White Cake.
After the cakes cooled I placed them in the freezer for about 4 hours. This allowed for easier frosting. I believe it is a huge reason how I was able to get the cake so smooth.
To make the frosting I used my American Buttercream Recipe. I made one batch and divided it into six colors; white, blue, pink, purple, yellow, and black. I only used about an 1/8 of a cup for the black. About ¼ cup for yellow, purple, and blue and about ½ a cup of pink. The rest of the frosting I left white for the crumb and finally coat.
Next I worked on the unicorn ears. I cut out an ear shape and used that for a stencil. First I cut out the white ears then made smaller pink ears that lay inside of the white ears. I used a little bit of water to seal the ears together. Next I inserted toothpicks in the bottom of the ears to help them stand up straight. I allowed the ears to dry for about an hour in the refrigerator.
When everything was ready I started stacking the cake. I put the blue layer in the bottom followed by yellow, pink, then purple. I used white buttercream for in between all the layers.P_:`Then I added the crumb coat. I put the cake in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes until the crumb coat was firm.
Then I used the rest of the white frosting to cover the cake completely. I smoothed the frosting with a bench scrapper.
Then I added the unicorn lollipop.
Next I added the mane. I started with large pink swirls.
Then purple swirls slightly smaller then the pink.
Then blue swirls, again slightly smaller then the purple.
Last I added the yellow swirls.
I piped on the eyes and added Happy Birthday, because hey after all it is a birthday cake. I’m so happy with the way it turned out I can’t wait to make another! I hope yours comes out just as good!!
- 6 cups of white cake batter
- Yellow soft food color gel
- Pink soft food color gel
- Blue soft food color gel
- Purple soft color gel
- 1 unicorn twisted lollipop
- white fondant
- pink fondant or pink food color spray
- black soft food color gel
- 3 cups butter, room temperature
- 12 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tsp vanilla
- Make 6 cups of white cake mix and divide into 4 bowls. 1 ½ cup each bowl.
- Add 4 drops of pink soft food color gel in one bowl
- Add 4 drops of yellow soft food color gel in a different bowl
- Add 4 drops blue soft food color gel into a different bowl
- Add 4 drops purple soft food color gel into the last plain cake batter bowl
- Mix until color is even through each batter bowl
- Line 4 6’’ cake pans with paper and spray with non-stick spray
- Bake cake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes until you can stick a tooth pick in and comes out clean
- Whip butter on medium for 1 minute
- Add 2 cup powdered sugar, mix until combined
- Add a splash of heavy cream
- Add 2 more cups of powdered sugar, mix until combined
- Add about another tablespoon of heavy cream
- Continue this process until all the powdered sugar and heavy cream are combined
- Add pinch of salt, mix
- Add 3 teaspoons of vanilla, mix
- Whip frosting on medium for 2 minutes to remove any air bubbles
- 1/8 cup in small bowl with 2 drops of black soft food color gel, mix
- ¼ cup of frosting with 2 drops of yellow soft food color gel, mix
- ¼ cup frosting with 2 drops of blue soft food color gel, mix
- ¼ cup frosting with 2 drops of purple soft food color gel, mix
- ½ cup frosting with 4 drops of pink soft food color gel, mix
- Once cakes are baked allow too cool completely!
- Roll white fondant out and cut ears out of that
- Next roll out pink fondant out and cut smaller ears out of that
- Place pink inside of white; use a small amount of water to wet backside of fondant in order to get it to stick to the white fondant
- Stick tooth picks in bottom of ears
- Allow to dry until stiff
Assembling the cake
- I started stacking the cake Layers. Blue, yellow, pink, and then purple.
- Use white frosting in between layers
- Then use white frosting as a crumb coat
- Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes until frosting is firm
- Then do a hearty finally layer of white frosting, use bench scrapper to smooth cake.
- Next place on unicorn lollipop in center of cake
- Add fondant ears
- Start with the pink buttercream to make mane for the unicorn
- Next do purple swirls
- Blue swirls
- Lastly yellow swirls
- Using the black buttercream pipe on unicorn eyes